Thursday, June 28, 2007

Tale of the Scale: Ooops

If you work out, have you heard about interval training instead of static cardio work? The idea is you work at a normal aerobic pace for a period of time, then work at a much faster pace for a short interval (2/3rds easy pace, 1/3rd maximum.) In a 20 minute session, you can get your body to burn more calories (and have the burn extend to 5 hours after the session is over) than a 45 minute static aerobic session.

Efficient and fast.

Had a scheduled work out with Guido this morning and prepared for it the same way I have been: with an half hour of cardio on my own to warm up. Today was the treadmill "hill" program at it's highest setting and 3.5 MPH pace.

That part was easy.

Then he started our session with a 12 minute interval training session. We worked on a different machine than I normally do (some kind of slide stepper thing..), and we worked HARD. I'd say I think this is too hard; and Guido would counter that I was doing fine.

It was only 12 minutes.

Then I headed over to incline bench press for the next part of our workout.

And got kinda dizzy.

I ended up laying on the floor for about 5 minutes, sitting up to guzzle some water, but I knew I wasn't in a place where I could continue. Guido knew it too.

I slowly walked down to the locker room, stripped, and headed into a tepid shower. I sat on the floor (groady place that it was) and let the water stream over me for about 10 minutes. Dressed, took the elevator up and just sat and recovered for about another 1/2 hour.

We are talking about the intensity and length adjustments for next week. Oh that hill program? Not going to be part of my workout in the future.