Monday, November 05, 2007

Tale of the Scale: 11/5/07

Weight: 126#. Finally some movement.

I am getting close to my target, but I don't know exactly what it is. It's somewhere around 120#.

It's between 1/3 and 1/2 of the healthy BMI for my size per my doctor's request; he believes a lean body will keep my blood pressure and cholesterol at low enough levels that cardio-vascular disease should not develop. Physical and blood tests scheduled for early January for final assessment.
For Guido, the goal is some target blend of lean body mass and fat. I don't recall, nor do I know for sure, that we've ever picked anything like a firm number. I get weighed and measured at the end of this month (a mid-way check in for the time I'm working on my own). I'll get details then.

I am doing well at making regular appointments with myself at the gym. I plan my workouts for the entire week and regularly kick my butt in workouts. Other members (and a couple trainers) compliment me on my work ethic. (OK, nobody has ever complimented me on my work ethic before. Now I'm working on transferring this attitude out into other parts of my life). The only part of my "plan" that I haven't embraces yet is the "shaking up my routine" part. No group classes yet.

Sunday was a difficult day in the gym. Every exercise I did, I had to cut back on the weight level in order to complete it. It's probably adjusting to the time change, or maybe I didn't eat well enough. Doesn't matter.

I didn't feel like working; I wasn't getting my normal great "buzz" from the workout. It was a challenge to finish each move. But finish I did. When I got to the point where I could choose to do another exercise (I usually write one or two optional finishers) or stop, I stopped. Actually, I got back on the elliptical and gave myself 10 more minutes of hard cardio work. Then I stopped.

Working when it wasn't working is a new experience for me. Glad I faced it down in an honorable way.

I also blog at: A Stitch In Time throughout the week and BlogHer on Mondays and Saturdays.