Tuesday, January 22, 2008

What's in Your Toolkit?

Chris Brogan wrote a great article detailing a number of the social media tools available for us to use. He suggested that we all assemble our own useful tool kits. He started the list with these sites:



I would adjust that list for my own use this way (and note, I do very little in the way of "mobile" interaction")
  • Listening Tool - BlogLines is my preferred RSS Feed Reader.
  • Search Tools - Technorati and BlogLines Search feature
  • Home Base Blog - Blogger I find this the easiest blog to modify and use.
  • Scratch Blog - Bloglines offers a "congretating blog" that I never use but could. Blogger allows multiple blogs, or VOX
  • Better Reach -I need to work on this.
  • Social Conversation - Twitter, seesmic Short video social conversations are developing here, and the potential of linking these to to Twitter and Blogs makes them quite appealling.
  • Social Profile - Facebook While this has potential, at the moment, it's a platform for playing games and little more, IMO.
  • Business Profile - LinkedIN Less useful if your work experience is more free-lance and volunteer based. Great for traditional working experiences.
  • Social Bookmarking - Del.icio.us YES! I need to organize my bookmarks better, but this is an under-utitilzed tool.
  • Collaboration - PBWiki
  • Shared Documents - Google Docs
  • Photo Sharing - Flickr or PhoTrade
  • Video Hosting - Blip.tv (also YouTube)
What Social Tools do you keep in your tool box? How do you use them? Which should we look at the consider further?

I also blog at: A Stitch In Time throughout the week and BlogHer on Mondays and Saturdays.