Sunday, July 02, 2006

The Good HouseWife Lemon Bars

Fellow BlogHer editor Mary Tsao wrote in a comment that:

I have this idea in my head that all good housewives know how to make lemon bars. And I can't.
Hmm.. I used to have this perfect lemon bar recipe; haven't made it in ages! (probably something about need to lose weight, and avoiding temptation and simple carbs? but who knows?). And I know exactly where it...

was in the old kitchen. Wow! I haven't made these in ages!! I wonder where the recipe is now?

Searches the cupboard where the cookbooks are. Nope.
Searches the paper file on the counter. Nope.
Looks in the drawer where some of the bakeware is stored. Nope.
Check the junk drawer. Yep.

Now this recipe was originally called Presidential Lemon Bars. And the intro told that both US presidents Reagan and Clinton liked lemon bars for dessert. Gives me a hint when I found this recipe: early 90s. (NOT that they said that this was the recipe used... but..).

Now I'm going to rename these:

The Good Housewife Lemon Bars

Makes: 32 bars 1x2"
Prep. Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes

1-1/4 Cups all-purpose flour
1 Cup sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine softened
2 eggs or 1/2 c. egg substitute
3 Tbs. Lemon Juice
Confectioners' sugar (optional)

Note: Use fresh squeezed lemon juice or Minute Maid Lemon Juice only. MM is the yellow bottle you find in the freezer section. DO NOT USE THE GREEN BOTTLE SHIT.

Combine 1 Cup of flour and 1/4 C sugar, then cut in the margarine/butter until the mix resembles coarse crumbs. Press this mixture onto the bottom of an 8x8x2 baking pan. Bake at 350F. for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

Blend eggs, Lemon Juice, and remaining flour and sugar. Pour over the pastry and bake an additional 15 minutes or until the mixture is set. Cool slightly, then sprinkle with confectioners sugar if desired. Cool completely, cut in the 2x1" bars.

If you try this, please let me know how it came out.