Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Tale of the Scale: 11/21

weight: 124#

Next Wednesday I meet Guido for a weigh-in and measures. He doesn't know it yet, but it will be the last time we do this for tracking my weight loss. Whatever the numbers say, this is the end.

I am not giving up on eating healthy.

I am not giving up on exercise hard.

I am not giving up on posting "tales of the scale".

I am giving up trying to figure out a what is a mystery to me that nobody seems able to help me with. I am giving up in frustration and anger. But I am giving up.

I eat a very healthy diet: a breakfast of steel-cut oats with soymilk and fruit; a lunch of salad and soup, or rice and veggies, or whole-grain bread and turkey; a similar supper occasionally with 3-5 oz. of lean protein added. I snack on fresh fruits and the occasional whole grain snack (crackers or the rare popcorn).

My "goal" portions are 60% carbs (200gr), 22% protein (74gr), and 18% fat(27gr). Half-way through the day I am always way too low on the carbs and nearing 100% on the fat. I add a food that to me should be all carbs and fiber... did you know if you eat a large apple or a large banana it has 1 gram of fat?

Nobody has been able to answer my specific question: how do I get enough carbs in my diet (and make them palatable...) without getting too much fat in my diet? That healthy looking oatmeal and silk milk? 6 grams of fat.. 1/3rd of what I'm allowed in a day and I didn't add any fat to the meal. We're talking Bob's Red Mill Oatmeal and Silk Unsweetened Soymilk! Add a banana to that and I'm doomed!

Anyway, I've reached my breaking point. And not for the first time. This is the very worst time of year for me (can I please just hybernate until the first football game begins on New Year's Day?), and I just don't need to beat myself up about trying to solve this by myself.

I need somebody to write out a plan I will use that answers my question. I know it must be some small tweak, but I'm tired of trying to do this alone. I have lost nearly 40# by making minor tweaks in my diet and by working hard. I'm not as lean as I could be, but at this point it's either going to happen naturally or it's not.

Because I'm done.

I also blog at: A Stitch In Time throughout the week and BlogHer on Mondays and Saturdays.