Friday, May 16, 2008

Tale of the Scale:Travel and Business, Ah the Challenge..

This week I shoe-horned my Sunday workout between errands for a conference I was helping to coordinate. I stayed at it as long as I could, both energy and time-wise, and I was happy with the overall work.

Then Monday through Wednesday I was AT the conference. Time was not really under my control; I was up early, out late, eating predetermined foods. I knew I would not have time for a workout while I was there; but rather foolish expected I would stop at the gym on my way home. By the time I hit the exit for 24 Hour, all I wanted was a nap.

I did make my normal workout on Thursday, and I am planning a "make up" workout today or tomorrow. But this is just one week.

It makes me think of the people who travel for business all the time and how they say "I just do not have time or energy in my day". I've always thought, if this is important to you, you'll make the time. And the exercise creates the energy. This week I was wrong.

I spent the better part of 3 days running around, working hard at creating a positive experience for the conference attendees. I did my job and I did well. But there was no spare time nor a drop of spare energy for me to devote to much exercise. I did pack my stretchy bands, and would take short breaks where I'd press, row, curl a little. Even that exertion felt stolen, hard, and half-hearted.

I've seem business people travelling, getting up an hour early so they could get some cardio and a little strenth training in. I've seem women at conferences leaving the last session, running to the hotel to work out before heading out to a night of dinner, drinks and networking. My hats off to you all who do this regularly. This week, I couldn't do it.

Looks like I need to work on some long-day endurance if my life continues demanding that I participate in the world more.

I also blog at: A Stitch In Time throughout the week and BlogHer on Mondays and Saturdays.