Thursday, December 07, 2006

Touched by Blogs/Travel Safe

Day 7 of Holidailies.

Wednesday, both on BlogHer and at A Stitch in Time, I wrote about craft bloggers with a personal connection to the Kim family. I crafted that post through teary vision. Why? I'm not completely sure. I have not met the Kims, nor shopped in Kati Kim's shop (Doe); the family is no closer to me than other families highlighted in the news.

However I read craft blogs almost every day. I get to know these bloggers: their style, their senses of humor, their heart. Many of these women do know Kati Kim and her family. And so it has been that through bloggers I learn about the family and feel their loss. Like a friend of a friend... a vicarious connection was formed. I cared because they cared. And their expressions of loss were the reason I cried.

----------------
Now for those of us, who have survived our Thanksgiving travels, what lessons can be learned from the tragedy of the Kim family? Travel safe.

  • Travel prepared. Have food and water with you when travelling distances. In wintertime, have blankets and extra clothing in your vehicle. Always carry water with you.
  • Plan your route ahead of time and give yourself extra travel time. Make sure someone knows your travel plans.
  • Make sure there is sufficient windshield washer fluid in the vehicle reservoir and that it is rated for freezing temperatures.
  • If you get stuck or stranded, don’t panic. Stay with your vehicle for safety and warmth. Wait for help to arrive. If you have a cell phone and are in an area with cell phone service, try calling for help. Try to always know your exact locations while driving.
And experts suggest that we pack survival kit to carry in your car carrying:
  • Ice scraper/snowbrush
  • Shovel
  • Sand or other type of traction aid/or chains in the mountains
  • Tow rope or chain
  • Booster cables
  • Road flares or warning lights. A mirror for signalling planes/helicopters overhead.
  • Gas line antifreeze
  • Flashlight and batteries
  • First aid kit
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Small tool kit
  • Extra clothing and foot wear
  • Non-perishable energy foods, like chocolate or granola bars, juice, instant coffee, tea, soup, and bottled water
  • Candles and a small tin can to hold the candle
  • Water proof matches
  • Instant heat pads.
I know. I know. I read this list, too and wonder how much space should I give up for an unlikely emergency? When it was the two of us (and maybe one dog) travelling 500 miles to the inlaws for a holiday, the car was usually packed to the gills. Where would we fit all these extra items? I don't know. And I won't guess if they would have helped James Kim save both his family and his own life.