Monday, December 31, 2007

Easy Come, Easy Go...



I've had Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody as an earworm now for over a week. And I'm blaming the TV for putting it there in the first place.

Last weekend I was surfing around the channels searching for something to distract me for an hour or so... something that didn't suck and something I hadn't already seen. Two (2!!) channels had thier version of "fill in the words karaoke" programs playing against each other. Now I won't go into the logic of this programming... there simply cannot be a large enough audience for this kind of thing that the two shows need to a head-to-head sing-off. Yet, last weekend that is what they presented us.

However, to compound the silliness of this exercise.. both programs had contestants singing along to the aforementioned Bohemian Rhapsody at the same time!! Same concept, same time, same song! ( Please let the writer's strike end soon, so some semblance or original thought can return to television.)

This double-dose of Queen excellence was too much for my feeble brain, and the song embedded itself deep into my brain like a virus.

At first, I was Ok with it. I kind of like having an earworm for a while, it's comforting. But how many times can I be washing dishing and singing: Mama, just killed a man... before it just starts to get creepy??

I tried the old standby: Sultans of Swing. I've had the guitar riffs from this song stuck in head for months before. Didn't take.

I tried newer songs: Rihanna Umbrella, Ingrid Michaelson's The Way I Am. They "freshened the palate" for a minute or two. "cause I-I-I-I love the way you call me baby...."

Quiet. Peace. I would believe that this time I had finally evicted the worm from my head.

Take a deep contented breath and smile.

"Easy come, easy go... Little high, little low..."

Oh Damn.



I also blog at: A Stitch In Time throughout the week and BlogHer on Mondays and Saturdays.